A grease fire can be a scary event that starts in a flash, but if you take some preventative measures and remain diligent, you can avoid creating one. Committing the following tips to memory can prevent you from experiencing a grease fire that causes you kitchen to go up in flames. Most of the advice comes down to being careful and mindful in the kitchen. Part of that extends to having your oven inspected by an appliance repair company, like CS Appliance Service, if you notice any issues.

Prevention Tips

  • Tip 1: Most grease fires start when someone is heating up a pan of grease or oil on the stovetop. Consider the heat rating for the cooking oil you are using. When grease begins to smoke, it means that it is too hot. This is your sign that the oil may catch on fire if it continues to heat up. If your grease or oil starts to smoke, turn the burner down immediately and carefully remove the pan from the burner until it cools down some.
  • Tip 2: Never leave pots and pans on the stovetop unattended when you are cooking. This is usually the cause of a fire—someone steps away and the fire begins unattended. If you have to leave the kitchen, turn the burner off. It’s not worth the risk of your kitchen catching on fire.
  • Tip 3: Clean any spills or splashes caused by grease or other liquids as soon as they happen to avoid the liquid from getting into the burner trays. Clean your stovetop regularly to avoid any food particles or grease accumulating.
  • Tip 4: Keep anything that is flammable away from your stove and off of the counters next to your stove. This includes napkins, paper towels, cookbooks, kitchen towels—basically, anything made of fabric or paper. Hot grease that splashes on these items can cause a fire to start.

What to Do if a Grease Fire Happens

If a grease fire starts, act quickly by smothering it with a metal pan lid or cookie sheet over the top. This will cut off the oxygen that the fire needs to burn. Don’t use glass or plastic, as they will break or melt. Never throw water on a grease fire, as the chemical properties of water and grease will cause splattering, making the fire grow and possibly causing injury. Your best option is to keep an ABC grade fire extinguisher in your kitchen close to your stove. It must have the “B” designation for grease fires. Don’t ever try to pick the pan up to move it, because the handle will be extremely hot and moving the pan may increase the chance of injury or the fire spreading.

It’s important to have routine maintenance performed on your stove every couple of years, especially if you notice any problems with the heating elements. If you have any questions about the operation of your oven, or if its recently stopped working or starting taking longer to heat up, count of the experts at CS Appliance Service to help by calling us at (781) 953-9600. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/CSApplianceService/ for more safety advice concerning your home appliances.